If you’re facing a tax bill and trying to figure out how to deal with it, chances are you’ve already read about the different tax debt settlement programs out there. You might have heard about bankruptcy or even looked into hiring a tax professional to help with your situation. It’s not uncommon to feel all over the place about your taxes, but you shouldn’t have to feel confused about who can help you.
In today’s blog post, we’re going to explore seven questions that will help ensure that you hire the right person for the job—an expert who knows what they are doing and has experience dealing with IRS issues.
What are your credentials?
Your tax expert’s credentials should be the first thing you need to ask. The more experience, education, and qualifications they have, the better. You want to see what kind of work they’ve done in the past and how long they’ve been doing it.
- What are their credentials? Inquire about their educational background (did they attend an accredited school?) Has their experience been limited to one field or industry? Are they a member of any professional organizations related to taxes?
How long have they been practicing? This will determine whether or not your potential advisor is new to their field or has years of experience under their belt.
- This set of questions will give you an idea of how knowledgeable your candidate handles various tax situations. You are more confident working with the legal procedures of your tax situation, knowing your chosen tax expert has top-tier credentials.
How much experience do you have?
When it comes to tax experts, experience is everything. If they don’t have enough experience or their credentials are too generic, you may want to consider looking for another tax professional. You want a professional who has worked in your particular field of expertise for an extended period and has done so successfully. Ask them how long they’ve been doing this kind of work and what types of cases they’ve handled over that period. Also, inquire about their training/s in acquiring such experiences in the field (have they received any certifications?).
You want someone who expertly knows what they are doing!
Have they dealt with the IRS before?
Although it’s already known for someone to be aware of the IRS’ reputation, how often they deal with the IRS is critical. The IRS is a federal agency, and they are not the nicest or easiest people to deal with. Don’t let their reputation scare you away! However, it is essential to know your tax expert’s experience in dealing with them before hiring them. If they have dealt with them before, there will be no surprises when you go into negotiations with them or if you need advice from other accountants about dealing with the IRS.
Do you have references and testimonials?
When considering hiring a tax expert, it’s important to ask for references. On your list of questions, the first should be, “Do you have any references and testimonials from past clients?”
You want to know what their previous clients think about them because this will give you insight into how well they work together with other people. A great way to learn more about an accountant or lawyer is by asking for a reference from a former client who can tell you in person or over the phone.
You may also want to ask whether they have testimonials written down on their website or social media pages so that you can read them yourself. This way, you can also browse how they publish their official pages promoting their tax debt settlement programs.
What is your availability? Does our need for this help warrant a quick response time?
Before hiring a tax expert, you must know your needs and how long it will take for them to be met. While it’s great if they can get back to you within the hour or resolve an issue immediately, the reality is that there might be times when your situation takes more time than this.
If this is your situation, how quickly do they respond? Do they give a specific timeframe in which they will get back to you, or do they simply promise “as soon as possible”? If something urgent comes up and another client needs immediate attention, how will their availability work for you then?
How do you accept payment? Is it upfront or upon completion of the job?
How do you accept payment?
- The way you pay your tax expert can have a significant impact on your experience. Stronger relationships are built when both parties understand the other’s expectations. Understanding how your tax expert will receive payment can help you choose an individual who aligns with the method that works effectively for you.
- Is it upfront or upon completion of the job? Many experts will ask for payment upfront, but others prefer to wait until their work is complete before collecting fees. Paying in advance may be advantageous if there are any issues or complications along the way—you’ll be able to rest easy knowing that money isn’t sitting idle somewhere waiting for approval from an unresponsive accountant.
Why should I trust you with my tax issues?
If you have a tax debt, you need help. You can’t afford to delay and ignore it any longer. You need to find a tax expert who will help you with your tax issues, whether from an audit or an audit defense.
The fact is that many people are not aware of the importance of having their taxes prepared by an expert. There are several benefits to doing so which include:
- Prepare a tailor-fit tax debt settlement for the IRS
This includes negotiating the monthly payments, and timeframe for the said payment program as well as justifying your financial hardship claim.
- Being able to claim all deductions on your taxes applicable for each year.
This could mean thousands of dollars back in your pocket every year!
- Avoiding fines and penalties from the IRS because they won’t know about mistakes made by someone who doesn’t specialize in tax preparation; could result in thousands lost in fines!
A tax expert can help you with tax issues when you need them most.
Tax experts can help you with tax issues when you need them most. Though taxes are an unfortunate reality, they don’t have to be something that makes you want to pull your hair out and cry. Tax issues can be stressful and time-consuming, but if you have a tax expert on your side, they can call the tune through the process without adding any unnecessary stress or taking up too much of your time.
In the end, you should hire a licensed tax professional who can work with your unique tax debt settlement needs. If you think about the questions above and ask them about every potential candidate, you’re likely to find someone who fits into your life and business perfectly.
And remember—even if it seems like a big scary thing to do at first, hiring a good and skilled tax specialist is actually one of the best things you can do for yourself! Hiring a professional will help alleviate stress by taking away some of those nagging financial worries that hold us back from achieving our full potential in life—and it might even save us from making costly mistakes along the way.
Call 833IRSHelp for a free consultation today!